Sara is with Olivia Vinden, Director at Alpha FMC, Obi Nwosu, CEO and Founder of Coinfloor, and Richard Burton, CEO and founder of Balance Software.
First up the panel looks at a16z back blockchain project Dfinity's funding round. Decentralized cloud startup Dfinity just raised $102 million to further its work in developing an "internet computer". Dfinity hopes to launch its world computer, what it refers to as "the cloud 3.0," by creating a scalable network that is more efficient than proof-of-work consensus.
Messaging giant LINE is launching its own cryptocurrency. LINE has become one of the first publicly traded companies to have launched a proprietary blockchain mainnet with its own cryptocurrency. LINE aims to gradually issue a total of 1 billion of the network's LINK tokens, of which 800 million will be distributed to public users while the rest will be held as a company reserve.
Crypto exchange Huobi acquires public firm for $70 Million. Huobi has become the largest shareholder of a public firm listed in Hong Kong, inching a step closer to a possible back-door listing. Pantronics Holdings, the acquired firm, released a statement on Aug. 29 saying Huobi Group had completed the deal by purchasing about 199 million of its shares.
Cboe is telling market makers that it's getting close to launching ether futures- and it could mark a big step in the crypto's evolution, the exchange group behind the first market for bitcoin futures, is telling market makers that it is getting close to launching ether futures.
Deutsche Bourse sets up dedicated blockchain and crypto-assets unit. Deutsche Bourse has been actively exploring potential applications of distributed ledgers and implications of crypto-assets, including co-operation with international central securities depositories on the use of distributed ledgers and smart contracts for mobilising scarce collateral, as well as the joint development of a functional prototype for the blockchain.
Google now provides a big data view of the ethereum blockchain. Google has added ethereum to its big data analytics platform BigQuery.
Coinbase survey shows 18% of US students now own cryptocurrency. According to the survey commissioned by Coinbase, 21 of the top 50 U.S. universities, as ranked by U.S. News and World Report, now offer a class on blockchain technology or cryptocurrency, and at least 11 colleges offer more than one.
The listing of several coins will happen in 2019 according to a NASDAQ source. While there have been other headlines connected to global exchanges dipping their toes into the crypto waters via partnerships and futures trading; the NASDAQ may just go all in.
We also have a Tweet of the Week on revolutionary HODLers.
Rounding off the show we have an interview from Colin with William Mougayar, Managing Partner and CIO at JM3 Capital.
All this and so much more on this week's episode of Blockchain Insider. And if you enjoyed our tweet of the week why not send us your best tweets? See if you can get a shout out on the show!
We hope you enjoy the show and, as ever, don't forget to subscribe!
Want to join the conversation on all the topics discussed? Tweet the show @bchaininsider and if you really love the show, please leave us a review on iTunes.
This week's episode of Blockchain Insider was produced by Petrit Berisha and edited by Michael Bailey.
- $102 Million: A16z, Polychain Back Blockchain Project Dfinity's Funding Round - CoinDesk
- Messaging Giant LINE Is Launching Its Own Cryptocurrency - CoinDesk
- Crypto Exchange Huobi Acquires Public Firm for $70 Million - CoinDesk
- Cboe is telling market makers it is close to launching ether futures - Business Insider
- Deutsche Bourse sets up dedicated blockchain and crypto-assets unit
- Google Now Provides a Big Data View of the Ethereum Blockchain - CoinDesk
- Coinbase Survey Shows 18% of US Students Now Own Cryptocurrency - CoinDesk
- EXCLUSIVE: NASDAQ SOURCE: "The listing of several coins will happen in 2019..." - The ICO Journal - Cryptocurrency News, Bitcoin, Coin News
- Eminem's Latest Album 'Kamikaze' Features a Bitcoin Shout-Out - CoinDesk
- Former Ripple CTO's Blockchain Project Coil Enters Closed Beta - CoinDesk
- Microsoft Is Connecting Its Major Products to Blockchain – Here's Why - CoinDesk